Wednesday, 26 December 2012

Delhi gang-rape protests: Constable had no major external injury, says doctor

Delhi gang-rape protests: Constable had no major external injury, says doctor
Clean Media Correspondent

New Delhi, Dec 26 (CMC) Delhi Police constable Subhash Chand Tomar, who was cremated with full state honours here on Tuesday, was not beaten up by protesters, but collapsed while walking, an eyewitness has claimed. 

Meanwhile, Dr PS Sidhu at Dr Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital said that the constable had no major external or internal injury marks when he was brought to the hospital. Tomar, however, had injuries on knee and chest, said Dr Sidhu. The constable is reported to have suffered no fracture. 

"No major injury marks found on constable's body. The constable had no pulse when he came to the hospital. Constable's right knee was injured, had bruises," said Sidhu. 

"He came in a state of total collapse and our doctors revived him and as he was not stable, we shifted him to the Intensive Care Unit. He was on ventilator," said Sidhu, the Medical Superintendent of RML Hospital. 

Asked whether is it was a case of cardiac arrest, the doctor evaded a direct reply. "I don't know. That is not my comment. He came, he was in serious shock and we revived him. In all our records, there are no severe internal injuries recorded but the post-mortem will tell everything," he said. 

Meanwhile, Yogendra, the eyewitness, said he and one of his female friends, who was injured, had noticed Tomar collapsing while walking towards protesters. 

"He wasn't trampled by the protestors, he wasn't assaulted. He just collapsed while walking. There was a girl with me at that time. We both saw him lying on the ground, and then I picked him up and took him to the hospital in a police van," said Yogendra. 

"I don't know what they (Delhi Police) are saying, but what I am speaking is the truth," he added. 

The eyewitness further said that no case has been registered against him so far. 

"No case been registered against me, and neither have I come in contact with the police," he added, when asked whether there was any case registered against him. 

The Delhi Police, however, refused to comment on the boy's claims, saying it would be able to speak on the issue only after receiving the post-mortem report. 

"The doctors, who conducted the post-mortem of Constable Subhash Tomar have told us that there were injuries on stomach, chest and neck. And post-mortem report will only tell the cause of death and before we get the post-mortem any comment on the cause of death will be pre-mature," said Delhi Police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat. 

"Therefore, we request not to make it an issue before we get any post-mortem report. We have not declared any cause of death so far, we are waiting for the post-mortem report," he added.

The Delhi police have claimed that Tomar was beaten up by protesters at India Gate during the anti-rape protests. Eight people have been booked in the case, which also includes a member of Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party. 

The 47-year-old constable died early Tuesday due to respiratory and cardiovascular problems sparked off by Sunday's alleged attack on him on a road leading to India Gate during protests against the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old woman on December 16 night in a moving bus in south Delhi. 

He was rushed to the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital by his colleagues, but was declared dead on Tuesday around 6.40 am. 

1 comment: