Friday, 21 December 2012

Delhi gangrape victim critical but trying to speak: doctors

Delhi gangrape victim critical but trying to speak: doctors
Clean Media Correspondent

New Delhi, Dec 21 (CMC) A 23-year-old woman who was gangraped, beaten and thrown out of a bus on Sunday night is conscious and has been taken off ventilator, said doctors treating her. The woman is still critical and showing mixed response to treatment but she is attempting to speak, said doctors of the Safdarjung Hospital in south Delhi. Her blood infection is spreading and liver condition is not good, they said.

Angry protesters gathered in several places in New Delhi to protest against the violent crime. Hundreds of angry women activists and students marched towards Rashtrapati Bhavan, the official residence of the President, demanding strong action against the rapists.

Shouting "We want justice", the protestors reached gate number two of Rashtrapati Bhavan. They tried to stop the vehicle of a senior official in a bid to force their entry into the premises.

Policemen said the crowd attempted to force its way into Rashtrapati Bhavan, but was diverted back to India Gate.

Another group of protestors demonstrated near Safdarjung Hospital--which met with disapproval from doctors.

Yet another group, under the aegis of the newly launched Aam Aadmi Party, has been sitting in protest at Jantar Mantar in central Delhi.

Many people have rallied in protest in the capital in the five days since the incident.

The residence of Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit, the police headquarters, Jantar Mantar and India Gate have all witnessed gatherings of protestors, as the victim, a physiotherapist intern at a private hospital, lies critically injured in Safdarjang.

The brutal crime occurred on Sunday night, when the woman and her male friend boarded a private bus in south Delhi after watching a movie.

The woman was assaulted by six men. Her male friend, who tried to save her, was also beaten up by the rapists. Both victims were stripped and dumped by the roadside near the domestic airport, after the nearly 40-minute ordeal in a moving bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment